Saturday, November 27, 2010

Got the Vintage Christmas Bug

I'm always the first one in our family to get the Christmas bug. This year I was hoping to combine my interests for vintage style and being eco-friendly in one. As you may already realise the two are somewhat related.

I am kind of starting from scratch in my new home but rather than buying new, expensive, decorations that just contribute to my carbon footprint for the year I've decided to recycle, re-purpose and basically try some more old fashioned, and altogether crafty, Christmas decorating ideas.

  • One of the first things I decided to do was make some paper snowflakes for hanging from ceilings,doorways and on my tree. I used to love making them in primary school at the end of each year and after a few attempts and some googling for more advanced instructions my retro Christmas decoration-ing was well under way.
    I love white as part of my colour scheme, to represent snow, icicles etc. so I've made these using recycled essays, lecture notes etc. that I've printed out during the year (Cost-free).




    • I needed ribbon to hang these so while I was out op-shopping I found a really unnatractive dress (Cost - $4.00) that happened to be close to the right turquoise-like colour and slightly shiny fabric that I wanted to hang my snowflakes. I also bought a white satin mini-skirt with some stains on it ($1.00)  to cut up for white ribbon but it frays easily so I might have to use a sewing machine to hem the ribbons.
    Total so far $5.00.


        No comments:

        Post a Comment